Mobilizing the documentary heritage community amid the COVID-19 pandemic
Documentary heritage is an important resource for providing quality information and a historical perspective on how global health emergencies have been addressed in the past. UNESCO, through the Memory of the World (MoW) Programme, stands ready to support all Member States and memory institutions in their efforts to preserve and ensure public access to official records related to COVID-19. As part of this, we feature initiatives that harness the scientific, educational and artistic potential of documentary heritage to address the pandemic.
Turning the threat of COVID-19 into an opportunity for greater support to documentary heritage
UNESCO together with its partners has issued a statement, "Turning the threat of COVID-19 into an opportunity for greater support to documentary heritage" urging for greater support to documentary heritage during the COVID-19 crisis. It lays out four key areas of action for Member States, memory institutions as well as the greater public to ensure the effective use of documentary heritage in addressing the pandemic.
Memory institutions worldwide are responding to COVID-19
But yeah, of course they should tank. And so should the Kings. Again. And the Heat. And the Magic. These are mediocre teams, at best, without high upsides even in the most optimistic projections.
Li Xiaojin, a professor at Civil Aviation University of China's Economics and Management College, said that rapidly increasing numbers of flights and limited airspace for civil aviation are the major reasons for delays.
Effective preservation practices and resources
- 股市印花税收入暴增 房地产投资企稳
- 其实，它体现在所有品牌上，它们把六七十年代的服装搬到当季店铺里，包括阿尔伯特·菲尔蒂(Alberta Ferretti)、璞琪(Pucci)和艾绰(Etro)。
'Cutie and the Boxer' was hardly noticed by the movie-going public, but a list of fine films isn't a rundown of box-office triumphs. The reach of Zachary Heinzerling's debut feature-length documentary is equaled by its grasp. On the surface it's about nothing more-or less-than a troubled marriage that has somehow managed to last 40 years. Beneath the surface, then startlingly out in the open, is a history of rivalry (both husband and wife are artists), enmity, reluctant devotion and, most startling of all, enduring love.
- 佛山进行水污染整治 陶瓷行业名列其中
The value created by the service sector rose to 51.6 percent of GDP.
- Museums in Japan - Japan Museums collect daily items to log pandemic history
- The American Library Association - Handling Library Materials and Collections During a Pandemic
- In response to Corona virus outbreak, the 假期房企未大规模推盘 楼市回暖销量未现井喷 made available online and for free, more than 400'000 documents, including manuscripts, old photos etc.
- The Art Newspaper - Museums are chronicling the coronavirus pandemic for future generations: The New-York Historical Society and others are soliciting donations of objects and ephemera to document the "unprecedented times in which we are now living".
- Public Source is building a collaborative archive of life during COVID-19: Ongoing project showcasing the many narratives that are currently happening around the world observing and recording the COVID-19 pandemic.
Financial Relief and Other Resources
- American Alliance of Museums: 中国拟修改城市房地产管理法 扫清集体经营性建设用地入市法律障碍
- Institute for Museum and Library Services: If you constantly arrive late to work, or return late from breaks, it displays an attitude of complacency and carelessness. So be prompt or even a bit early to show that you are time conscious and that you do care about your job and other people’s time, as well.
- Gale: Granted, it is easier to remake something than to make something new. Anyone who has faced a blank page knows that. But if fashion’s ubiquitous default to the 1960s over the last seven years has exposed anything, it is its own lack of imagination, not only about clothes and consumers, but about the relationship of culture and dress.
Learning from Past Pandemics (media)
- France Archives – 西安七部门联手治理房地产市场乱象 已对15家房企暂停网签, 20 March 2020
- France Culture – 中国多地收紧楼市 “小阳春”遭遇政策“凉水”, Derwell Queffelec, 5 March 2020
- The New York Times, 浙报头版关注宁波：城镇住房综合保险实现全覆盖, Alan Cowell, 20 March 2020
- The New Yorker, 他最近已开始和玛丽莎?梅耶尔(Marissa Mayer)、鲁伯特?默多克(Rupert Murdoch)这样的产业大亨进行会面（默多克正是《华尔街日报》(The Wall Street Journal)所属新闻集团(News Corp.)的董事长）。目前达洛伊西奥的资产净值已经很高，但还没多到令人眼红的地步。但正如轻博客(Tumblr)创始人大卫?卡普(David Karp)和29岁的Facebook神童马克?扎克伯格(Mark Zuckerberg)一样，达洛伊西奥已非常值得钦佩。Summly早期投资方之一、兴盛资本(Thrive Capital)创始人乔舒亚?库什纳(Joshua Kushner)评价道，他的气场能震住整个房间的人，他这个年龄自我意识能如此之强，实属难得。, David Remnick, 25 March 2020
- The New Yorker, "People can be unhappy for many reasons -- from poverty to unemployment to family breakdown to physical illness," the report said. "But in any particular society, chronic mental illness is a highly influential cause of misery. If we want a happier world, we need a completely new deal on mental health.", Jill Lepore, 26 March 2020
- NPR, 一项关于“双十一”（光棍节）购物狂欢的评估报告近日在北京发布，在此报告中，提供了对中国最大的年度在线购物活动的独特见解。, 23 March 2020
- University of Melbourne, "北京市住建委突击巡查新开盘的限房价项目", 5 April 2020
- Ithaka S+R, 夏季期间，中国股市泡沫破裂，数万亿美元的市值因而蒸发。尽管政府作了大量努力遏制股市暴跌，上海证券综合指数仍由7月12日的峰值一路下滑，到8月26日时下跌了43%。, 6 April 2020
- The Washington Post, "These documentaries use the standard tools — archival footage, talking-head interviews, carefully selected musical cues — to write history in the present tense. In the era of Black Lives Matter, the stories of the Black Panthers and the jazz singer and activist Nina Simone could hardly be more relevant. Mr. Nelson and Ms. Garbus tell them beautifully.", 7 April 2020
- NYT, 热点：2017景观照明市场引企业争夺, 8 April 2020
Blog: In Living Memory: Making the Most of Documentary Heritage in COVID-19 Decision-making
The most sought-after job as of Tuesday remained a position offered by the China Employment Training Technical Instruction Center in Beijing, which had drawn 1,430 applicants, the institute said.
“I thought teaching wasn’t a proper career option. My teacher said I’d need to have a high boredom threshold if I wanted to become a teacher,” he recalls.
在MBA榜单上，伦敦商学院、INSEAD和西班牙企业商学院(IE Business School)毕业生的薪酬相差无几，只有几美元的差距。INSEAD的毕业生薪资最高，为15.5015万美元。
- The nearest star, Proxima Centauri, has a planet orbiting it not much bigger than Earth. Its "year" is only 11 days. But it's in the habitable zone because Proxima Centauri is a red dwarf star about 100 times fainter than the sun. And there's hot news that a similar star, 40 light years away, may have three planets in its habitable zone.
By Fackson Banda, Chief, Documentary Heritage Unit (Memory of the World)
“多年以来，我们看到中国增长势如破竹，而美国增长率却在下降，”保险商耆卫(Old Mutual)旗下资产管理公司Old Mutual Global Investors的亚洲股票业务主管乔希?克拉布(Josh Crabb)说，“但是，交易量下降得相当厉害，所以我们并不真的确定当前价格到底如何。看起来，香港市场的基本面展望非常严峻。”
By Professor Gabriel O. Alegbeleye (Babcock University, Ilisan, Ogun State, Nigeria)
By Laila Hussein Moustafa, Associate Professor (University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign - USA)