The ZZ plant is a plant with tall, leafy fronds that are a perfect fit for striking interior designs. Caring for it is such an easy feat it’s even been called the plant of steel or cast-iron plant!
ZZ plant facts list
Name – Zamioculcas zamiifolia
Family – Araceae
Type – indoor plant, succulent
Height – 1 ½ to 3 ft (0.5 to 1 m) indoors
Exposure – well-lit, indirect
Soil – soil mix
Foliage – evergreen
Propagation – cuttings, crown division
Employers have stepped up their hiring recently, adding 171,000 jobs in October and an average of 157,000 a month so far this year. That's a better pace than last year and the strongest job growth since 2006, Labor Department data show.[qh]
- Last minute: got children to care for? Sacrifice a stem or two of your ZZ plant and propagate it with your children. Great way to keep kids busy gardening during coronavirus lockdown!
How to plant the ZZ plant
Repotting your ZZ plant
Repot a ZZ plant that has just been purchased to a pot that is slightly larger in size, 1 inch wider across than the previous (2.5 cm).
- Proper drainage – this plant dies if roots wallow in water. Check that the new pot has a hole at the bottom. Add a drainage layer at the bottom of the pot.
- Soil mix should have nutrients – enrich it with one-fourth compost and one-fourth sand to keep drainage high.
- Upon repotting, you can break the clump into several parts if you want to grow or offer a new ZZ to a friend.
Planting the ZZ plant outdoors
This is only possible in areas with very mild winters. A ZZ plant will survive outdoors if temperatures never drop below 40°F (5°C). Freezing will kill the plant.
- If temperatures in your area drop to the 40°F (5°C) threshold, you can protect ZZ plant from the cold and it may survive.
- 时间：2009-11-19 编辑：vicki
The ZZ plant will thrive in shade and part shade outdoors. Proper drainage is again important. If the soil in your garden is heavy, read up on how to make clay soil lighter.
Water needs and schedule for the ZZ plant
The ZZ plant evolved in a cyclic environment: extended drought followed by flash floods.
Watering an outdoor ZZ plant
Once your ZZ plant is well established, you’ll only need to water once a month if there isn’t any rain.
- 5. 《在杰克逊高地》(In Jackson Heights)。杰出的弗里德里克·怀斯曼(Frederick Wiseman)带来的三个多小时的新作；这或许可以解释为什么奥斯卡奖的蠢材们再一次没有把他加入候选名单。
- Water more often in summer to spur growth.
- No need to water in winter (dormant period).
- If in the colder areas (below 40-50°F or 5-8°C), do your best to keep water out. As with the olive tree, cold isn’t the first winter enemy: cold water is.
Watering an indoor ZZ plant
"There are ways to control air (pollution), but we need stronger determination to control it." ZHANG LIJUN, member of the CPPCC National Committee and former vice-minister of environmental protection
- Always prefer soft water or rainwater. If using water from the tap, follow the usual precautions when watering plants with tap water.
ZZ plant misting and moisture
- Mist the plant as often as you feel like it. Use exclusively soft or distilled water. Rainwater is ideal. Indeed, tap water for plants like the ZZ result in crystal and mineral deposits. These clog up pores on leaves.
- You can replicate flash floods by dunking the ZZ plant, pot and all, in a barrel, or showering it thoroughly. To compensate washing out soil nutrients, either add decomposing plant materials to the dunking barrel or fertilize your ZZ with natural fermented tea (such as fermented nettle).
Creating moisture in the air around the ZZ plant will help it thrive.
- Read how to raise air moisture for plants
Exposure for ZZ plant
Growth of your ZZ plant is directly related to exposure. A lot of indirect light will let the plant send up new shoots every month or two. On the other hand, a ZZ plant without much light will more or less stay put. But it will survive!
- Indirect light – set the plant off the side of a window instead of directly in front of it. Perhaps a light-colored wall gets a lot of reflected light, which is perfect for the ZZ plant.
- Low light – ZZ plant will still grow, but very slowly.
- Avoid heat sources – radiators and sunny windows make the air around them very dry. A ZZ plant prefers moisture.
Where to put a ZZ plant in the house
A good option for the ZZ plant is to rotate it from room to room. Summer in a warm, moist, well-lit lean-in or veranda, time in the living room near the couch or TV set. Winter in the office or kitchen and bathroom. Moving your ZZ plant all around the house will enhance growing and maximize your pleasure in seeing it in different places!
ZZ plant propagation
"People didn't just search for the players and the teams. It was a cultural learning experience. It was the first World Cup in Africa, and people wanted to learn about post-Apartheid South Africa," she said. "People also wanted to find out what that noise was -- the vuvuzelas."
- Full article on how to propagate a ZZ plant
Like a succulent, the ZZ plant can sprout new tubers and leaves from any part of the plant.
Here’s a video on how to divide the ZZ plant upon repotting:
Pets, pests and diseases on ZZ plant
The ZZ plant is very seldom seen to suffer from pests or disease. The occasional scale insect may be caught wandering around, but you’ll never have a serious invasion.
- Check out what a ZZ plant with scale insects looks like.
Is the ZZ plant poisonous?
Small crystals in the sap may cause rashes on skin where touched. Sensitive persons should wear gloves when performing tasks like repotting, transplanting, and dividing ZZ plants.
As a chemical, calcium oxalate crystals aren’t toxic but merely irritating. Ingesting small amounts (say, a leaf) will only result in discomfort but isn’t dangerous for cats, dogs… and children!
- Profit at property insurers fell 43.39 per cent year-on-year to Rmb33.7bn. For life insurance firms it dropped 65.6 per cent to Rmb54.2bn, while for reinsurers it fell 58.8 per cent to Rmb4.4bn.
ZZ plant leaves falling over
More often than not, ZZ plant fronds start drooping down. ZZ stems fall over. The long petioles which carry the leaflets don’t stand upright anymore and fan out.
- The major cause of ZZ plant bending down is lack of light. When a ZZ plant grows in the wild, it grows best in shade and forest underbrush. It sends fronds and leaves in every direction to harvest what little light filters down to the ground.
- This is a natural occurrence.
- When sold in flower shops, they usually stand up tall. This is because they’re lit from above and grown in a crowded growing table. As for trees in a forest, these crowded conditions force the ZZ plant to grow straight up.
What can you do to make your ZZ plant grow straight again?
- Rotate the plant to a spot that gets lots of light from above in the house for at least part of the year.
- Put other plants that grow thick and straight near it, like Sansevieria, Spathiphyllum or colorful Croton (among other indoor plants).
- Alternatively, you can simply find a nice-looking stake (like a piece of bamboo) and loosely tether your ZZ leaves to it.
- Another possible cause is that the pot is too small. Repot into a larger pot.
ZZ plant turning yellow
5.Bryan Cranston was a Murder Suspect
- Do your customers trust you? Do they know what you do with their data and are they happy with it? This will be a major issue not just for the N.S.A., Microsoft and Google. Nor will Google Glass be the only product to provoke debate. Trust reduces the cost of doing business and those who don't build relationships of trust with their partners, suppliers and customers will feel the pinch.
- The host list of 2014 Spring Festival Gala, including Zhu Jun, Dong Qing, Bi Fujian, Li Sisi and Zhang Guoli, are released on Wednesday. Chinese film actor and director Zhang Guoli will host the annual gala of China Central Television (CCTV) for the first time.
If the entire ZZ plant is yellow, it may be due to:
- Root rot – due to overwatering and insufficient drainage. Water only when the soil is dry. Check that the pot has a draining hole. Throw out any water that collects in the saucer under the ZZ plant. Repot with one-third river sand added to the mix.
- Lacking nutrients – Add fertilizer for leaf plants once a fortnight during the growing season.
- Rootbound – the pot is too small and roots circle around the inside. The plant is strangling itself. Pull out from the pot, untangle the roots, cut the longest ones. The clump shouldn’t have any roots extending out more than an inch (3 cm). Repot to a slightly larger pot.
The last possibility is when a new frond or leaf starts growing that is yellow, white or variegated. This is rare. It is a kind of mutation that occurs naturally.
ZZ plant has drops of sap on leaves
Types of ZZ plant and varieties
- Raven ZZ – crow-black leaves that lend the plant a distinctive ornamental touch. New leaves start out light green.
- ZZ ‘Zenzi’ – Leaves are more curly and bunched up near the top of the stem. Very elegant. A bit hard to find.
- Dwarf ZZ plant or ‘Zamicro’ – Shorter than the normal ZZ, won’t exceed two feet (50 cm) tall. Same leaf pattern, color, and size.
- ZZ plant ‘Lucky classic’ – leaves are more roundish and less pointed.
As mentioned earlier, a few ZZ plants developed variegated leaves that are absolutely stunning.
Learn more about the ZZ plant
All in all, the ZZ plant makes for a great plant in urban jungle homes, when it’s set to a side to complement furniture. Although it’s too large for centertops on tables, it is perfect to highlight beautiful architecture by drawing the eyes to verticality.
New leaves are bright green, even for varieties that turn nearly black like the Raven ZZ.
Over the first weekend of 2015 the second-largest bitcoin exchange, Slovenia-based Bitstamp, was victim of a hack to the tune of some $5 million U.S. dollars’ worth of the digital currency. As the tech press were quick to point out, it was a worrisome start to the year for a digital currency that Quartz had already declared “the worst investment of 2014.” And if you look at its performance between Jan 1, 2014 and Jan. 1, 2015, that’s not wrong: bitcoin ended the year at 39% of the value it started with.
The only plant within its genus (the Araceae family), the ZZ plant took a while before becoming a commercial success. Slow growth was the main drawback and nurseries needed to set up ZZ plant propagation stations that took years before producing a large enough plant. Today, however, the plant is a favorite and new varieties are even being worked on as we speak.
The ZZ plant, an air-purifying houseplant
Scientists reviewed the ZZ plant and discovered it did well in removing pollutants from the air. It filters out and stocks the following toxins in its roots, stems and leaves:
Learn more about air-purifying houseplants
Smart tip about the ZZ plant
“I am proud of my position as a boss, as a person that runs my own company,” Perry told FORBES for our Celebrity 100 cover story this past summer. “I’m an entrepreneur. … I don’t want to shy away from it. I actually want to kind of grab it by its b---s.”
以丹麦为例，如今，88%的丹麦人口都是白人——这样的多数地位很难动摇。但在1980年，也就是上一代人的时候，丹麦有97%的人口是白人。反移民的丹麦人民党(Danish People’s Party)现在是丹麦议会中的第二大党。在德国，从2011年到2015年间，非本土出生人口激增了大约75%，反移民的民粹政党德国另类选择党(Alternative for Germany)如今获得了破纪录的支持率。
- How to propagate ZZ plant
- Did you know houseplants purify air?
- Slow and steady – the succulent family
Credits for images shared to Nature & Garden (all edits by Gaspard Lorthiois):
上海仲量联行：亚太区数据中心崛起 规模扩张全球最大 by Flower Council Holland / the joy of plants
ZZ plants in a designer home by Flower Council Holland / the joy of plants
ZZ plant in a pot (metal) by Sherri Barras ★ under © CC BY 2.0